NOVEMBER is Gratitude month.
Remember to be grateful for all the fresh air, health, family, friends, warm home to live in, school, teachers….and so much more!
Notice to Parents from Ministry of Education. Please see attached letter.
Hello dear staff and parents of Spencer!
Last week saw the first ever RC car day at Spencer. We had races in the gym at lunch with approximately 50 participants. We learned a lot about how to make things better by giving it our best shot. The kids had a great time, and we will do it again sometime soon. Prizes will be awarded on Tuesday morning.
Next up… drones? We shall see…
We started off our Monday on an interesting note. I arrived at 7am to find the mezzanine area of the school smelling like smoke! A quick pull of the fire alarm and the fire department was checking things out. Turns out one of the air exchange motors had burned out. The fire fighters cleared most of the smell quickly and we were able to start the day as usual, with the exception that the Mez be off limits for the day until the smell dissipated. A little more excitement that I wanted for a Monday morning, but all turned out well.
Operation shoebox is in full swing. We are hoping to send a shoebox from every advisory class. Our deadline for completion is November 14th.
If you have any of the following items that could be contributed to your child’s advisory class shoebox, please send it along with them to school.
List of Approved Items
- Baby/wet wipes (not medicated)
- Clothing (hats, socks, t-shirts, pants, dresses, etc.)
- English books (recommend lots of colorful pictures)
- Fishing Hooks
- Glue Sticks
- Gardening Tools
- Ink Pad (foam type, not liquid dispensers)
- Magnifying Glass
- Mitts (thin cotton)
- Mirrors (only if encased in a plastic compact)
- Porcelain Items
- Powder Laundry Detergent (original package)
- Razors (10-14 year old boxes)
- Resin Items
- Sanitary Pads/Tampons (10-14 year old boxes)
- Scissors (age appropriate)
- Sewing Kits +/- small sewing scissors (10-14 year old boxes)
- Temporary Tattoos
- Tools and Multi-tools – hammer, screw drivers, container nails/ screws (10-14 year old boxes)
- Transformers/Similar Items–not war-related or frightening
- Reusable Cloth Bag
Items you may want to put in a Ziploc Bag
- Baby Powder
- Deodorant (not liquid)
- Markers, Wax Crayons, or Oil Pastels
- Play Dough–as long as it’s in original packaging
- Silly Putty or Slime
- Soap (bar, not liquid
PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE:
- Decks of standard playing cards (card games such as UNO are great!)
- Food or candy: Including gum (due to customs regulations)
- Used items (due to customs regulations)
- Liquids or items that could leak, melt, freeze, or break – shampoo, toothpaste, creams, lip balm, bath gels, mirrors, or glass, etc.
- Items that can scare or harm a child – war-related toys, knives, toy guns, etc.
Thanks in advance for your help with this. Students always feel good when they are helping others… if you’ve got 51 seconds, have a look at the following video for a glimpse of the
impact one shoebox can have…
Here are some dates for your consideration.
Oct 20 Photo-retake day
Oct 20 PAC meeting 6:30 in the library
Oct 21 Pro-D day: school not in session
Oct 28 Grade 7’s to the museum
Oct 31 Halloween dance last period of the day in the gym
November Gratitude Month
Nov 1 Management meeting
Nov 1 Grade 6 swim trip to YMCA
Nov 8 Staff Meeting
Nov 10 Remembrance day assembly. Time 9:20am. Commander Solomon to be in attendance. Formal day. Students asked to dress up for the assembly.
Nov 11 Remembrance Day
Nov 17 PAC 6:30 in the library
Nov 24 3 hour early dismissal. Parent/teacher interviews. Schedule TBA
Nov 25 Pro-d School not in session.
Do you have any craft supplies that are not going to be used? Our craft club could really use them! Simply drop off to the office and we will be sure that Ms. Ralph gets them. Thanks in advance for your consideration of this request.
Have a wonderful week!
Principal, Spencer Middle School
If your child is currently attending one of our feeder schools ie: David Cameron, John Stubbs(FI), Lakewood, Millstream, Ruth King, Savory or Willway, you do NOT need to register for Gr 6 on-line. Your child will automatically be transferred to Spencer unless you let us and your current school know other wise.
To Register your child for Spencer Middle please go to: http://www.sd62.bc.ca/parents/registration/
Parents can request a school change on-line on this direct link: http://changereq.sd62.bc.ca
***School Supply Lists for 2016-2017 can be found at the top of this page under ‘Links’ then ‘Students”.***
SPENCER ATHLETICS (Ms. Pelletier and Ms. Bilous, Athletic Directors)
This week in sports… October 11 – 14
- Mon, Oct 17
- Cross Country – Practice run 3:15pm daily – join when you can
- Soccer – Boys Blue game 3:45 at Spencer. Girls meeting in Miss Bilous’ room at lunch.
- Basketball – Grade 6 girls and Grade 8 girls practice 3:30-5pm
- Tues, Oct 18
- Cross Country -Practice run 3:15 daily – join when you can
- Soccer – 6/7 girls game 4:20 at Lansdowne. Arrange your own ride.
- Basketball – Grade 8 boys and 7 boys Blue practice 3:30-5pm.
- Wed, Oct 19
- Cross Country – Practice run 3:15 daily – join when you can
- Soccer – 7/8 girls game at Glanford. Dismiss at 2:45pm and arrange own rides.
- Basketball – Grade 7 girls practice 7:45am-8:45am
- Basketball – Grade 6 boys practice 3:30-5pm.
- Thurs, Oct 20
- Cross Country – Practice run 3:15 daily – join when you can
- Soccer – Boys Yellow game 3:45pm at Gordon Head. Arrange own rides.
- Basketball – Grade 8 girls practice 7:30am-8:45am
- Basketball – Grade 7 girls practice 2-3:30pm
- Basketball – Grade 7 girls and Grade 7 boys Yellow practice 3:30-5pm
Please note the following:
- There are no tryouts or cuts at the middle school level, so students are encouraged to play on at least one team this year.
- Only one permission form is needed for the year to play all sports. Athletes can pick up a Player’s Package at the office.
- Coaches are needed! If you’re available to volunteer can contact the Athletic Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Note that community coaches require an application and a criminal record check (free via the school).
**teams are subject to coach and player availability**
SD62 bus registration closure, refunds and passes
Please read the following email about the SD62 school bus carefully as it regards:
- Registration closure
Registration for this 2016/2017 school year closes on Monday, October 17 at 9 p.m.
Due to a very high volume of riders, our buses are at or are nearing their capacities. All registration must be completed online. Please don’t wait until the very last minute to register! All registrations will be placed on a wait list. Link to online registration.
Those who registered outside of the registration window last spring are wait listed and may be asked to move to a different bus if the bus they currently ride is full. Riders not registered will not be allowed on the bus.
Our goal is to have all refunds completed by October 31.
Our Finance Department has processed more than 1000 refunds, but they still have nearly 1000 more to complete. The system was not designed to handle so many refunds at once, so there are daily limits to what we can put through for refunds. As a result, you may receive more than one refund. Please continue to check your credit card and bank statements for refund notification. Our goal is to have all refunds completed by October 31. You will receive your refund via the same method you paid, so by credit card or e-cheque.
Bus Passes – Middle and Secondary students only
Students must present their passes each time they load a bus.
Permanent bus passes will be issued to registered riders over the next few weeks. Until then, please continue to use the temporary bus passes assigned. Drivers will be diligent in checking for these.
As always, thank you for your patience and understanding. It has been a learning experience for us all!
For questions or more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sooke School District
Find all the details about the new changes as well as current bus routes and more on the District’s Transportation page.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
**Langford by-law enforcement has asked us to remind parents picking up their children after school, to please park in designated spaces in front of the school, along Carlow or on other nearby side streets. Please also observe signage in our parking lot – the double lanes in our parking lot closest to the street are for very quick drop off/pick-ups and drive-throughs (one for each purpose). The lane closest to the school is for busses only.
Wednesdays – Pizza Day $3 per slice or $5 for two
Fridays – Fritter Friday – $2 each and all proceeds go to Spencer Wildcats Athletics
Starting the week of September 12, 2016
- Band 7/8 and Band 6 – Monday and Wednesday class 3:15pm-4:15pm
- Percussion 6/7 – Tuesday/Thursday class 3:15-4:15pm.
- Choir 6,7,8 on Tuesdays at lunch – 12:25-1:00pm. Everyone is welcome.